Friday, June 4, 2010

United States Postal Service

Yesterday as I was walking home for lunch I was talking to my wife on the telephone. Suddenly she tells me to hold on for a second. In the background I hear her open the front door and begin talking to a man. As our house came into view I saw the mail man standing at our door waiting for my wife to return. She returned, handed him something, and then he walked down our front walk back to his mail car. I met him at our front gate and we chatted for a minute or two about what a beautiful day it was, some of the trees on our property, etc. Then we wished each other a wonderful afternoon and parted ways. I walked in the house to ask my wife why the mail man came to the door but didn't have any mail to deliver. She responded by telling me that a letter we had mailed the day before (to the IRS) didn't have enough postage and that our mail man had stopped by and asked for 17 cents to complete the postage. He didn't have to do that. He could have just slapped one of those "insufficient postage" stickers on it and brought it back leaving it in our mailbox for us to discover later. But he didn't. He took the time to come to our door, explain the issue, suggest a possible resolution (to which we agreed), and then exchanged pleasantries with me. I was blown away at the wonderful service this gentleman provides to my family and me. He is definately getting a Christmas card again this year. Such a simple thing made us feel special and cared for. He gets today's gold star for service.

No comments:

Post a Comment